At Henkel, you can be a game changer and craft your career. Unleash your entrepreneurial spirit by bringing your ideas to life within a global team. Our leading brands and technologies, along with our high-performing businesses will provide you with countless opportunities to develop your skills and explore new paths. Your career at Henkel will contribute to a more sustainable future, while you grow within our vibrant, diverse culture of trust and belonging. If you're up for challenging the status quo, join our team of pioneers and make your mark on the future with us.
Do you dare to make an impact?
The role of Principal Scientist is to identify and assess technical problems and provide recommendations to management for solutions to these problems as well as develop new methodologies/broad technical programs and execute them. Consistently lead key tasks such as supporting product initiatives and business strategy to completion and independently develop products or technologies which meet product performance, quality and timing requirements. This role provides a broad spectrum of expertise and represents the department on technical issues. Other responsibilities include developing technical models to explain and predict results and demonstrating an ability to plan, perform, analyze, and draw conclusions from complex technical experiments, and openly share expertise and Points-of-View, contributing to free debate and discussion. The Principal Scientist will conduct his/her own laboratory experiments.
• Be a technical leader and innovative thinker in hair products formulation and support launch activities
• Leads key tasks such as supporting product initiatives and business strategy to completion and independently develop products or technologies which meet product performance, quality and timing requirements.
• Develops technical models to explain and predict results and demonstrating an ability to plan, perform, analyze, and draw conclusions from complex technical experiments. Present technical findings to upper management.
• Applies in-depth knowledge of marketplace, products, and trends, and participates in the development of future competitive strategies.
• Makes decisions and sets priorities according to the strategic plan.
• Promptly reports major issues or unexpected results as soon as identified.
• Communicates complex ideas in a clear, simple manner that captures people's attention (e.g., graphics, pictures, analogies, concrete examples).
• Forthrightly states opinions with conviction.
• Thinks divergently about options and alternatives before choosing best solutions.
• Has high tolerance for uncertainty; enjoys working in fluid environments that demand creativity.
• Is flexible and willing to change his/her mind in the face of new data or convincing counter-arguments.
• Participate in pilot and first production batches and write detailed descriptions of batching procedures to ensure batch reproducibility. Handle formulation and manufacturing issues for new and existing products. Demonstrate knowledge of basic industry regulations related to on-going projects and engage in acquiring more knowledge regarding regulations affecting product development in international markets.
• Coach and mentor junior department members in the art of cosmetic and consumer science or equivalent
• Approaches new challenges and experiences as opportunities to learn.
• On-board new junior level chemists/temps in formulation technology and best lab practices
• Interact with departments and colleagues within and outside of R&D, including, but not limited to, Marketing, Manufacturing, QA and Salon Services. Seek out and read industry literature as it relates to new assignments and technologies. Conduct patent searches on project related technologies, summarize and review search results with supervisor.
• Assist in the maintenance of laboratory raw materials, glassware, supplies and waste removal. Actively participate in the development of new and innovative products or technologies with interdepartmental colleagues. Communicate effectively and routinely with supervisor and, as needed, colleagues on all projects.
• Gain a working knowledge of laboratory equipment utilized to evaluate the physical and performance attributes of various product types. Maintain an organized, clean and tidy laboratory and cubicle workspace. Handle other projects and duties as assigned. Travel to manufacturing facility in Geneva New York 15%. Worker must periodically review the materials Hazardous Book of Guidelines.